How to Deal With the Lighting for Portrait Photography in the Studio?
Lighting is necessary during the process of shooting portraits in the studio. First of all, we should master the classification of different types of lights. The classification of lights is roughly as follows: main light, auxiliary light, background light, contour light, modification light, hairstyle light, top light, and bottom light. There are different classifications of these lights. You must first understand their different properties, directions and heights as well as their usage methods.
The following is how to create photographic works by using the different lighting method.
1. First of all, set up the main light. The main light is the most important light during studio photography, and plays a role in character posing.
2. Set up the auxiliary light. The auxiliary light and the main light form a light ratio. Once the main light is arranged, the size of the light ratio is determined by the auxiliary light. The concept of light ratio is very important and is the key to the success of a work.
3. Set up the background light. According to the subject characteristics and the color of the background, the background light can be used or not. If shooting with black background, background light is not necessary.
4. Set up the contour light. Contour light is generally rear backlight, which is about 135 degrees to the lens axis of the camera. It is usually arranged on the back of the subject, giving the subject a certain sense of contour, and creating a sense of depth and space between the background and the subject.
5. Set up the decoration light. This kind of light is often arranged with beams of light, with a small shooting range and a small shooting angle of view. When photographing people, it often plays the role of highlighting bright spots. For example, to highlight jewelry and necklaces worn by the people.
6. Set up the character's hairstyle light. The so-called hairstyle light is the light shining on the hair. Especially when people’s black hair and black background are fused together, the hair is often invisible. In order to separate the black background from the hairstyle, we have to use hair style lighting for light arranging. These lights are coordinated with each other. When setting up lights, you should note that the lights must be just appropriate, cooperate with each other and play the role of each light.